Friday, July 19, 2013

30 plays in 60 minutes!

That's what you get in Never Eat Too Much Before Rapture which I watched on 6th July 2013, in KLPAC. Aside from the wacky sounding name, it is also chaotic, random and of course, AWESOME!

Never Eat Too Much Before Rapture(NETMBR, pronounced Net-tem-ber) is a very uniquely conceptualised theatre performance where the audience(we/us) decides the order of the plays being performed. Hence, each session is really different as the order will differ, depending on the number being shouted out by us. The really cheeky bit is the part where the onus falls on us if all 30 plays did not get performed within the 60 minutes time frame. Besides that, all 30 plays were written, produced and directed by all 9 cast members(credits roll at the bottom, as usual XD)

Now that leaves an average of 2 minutes per play, but seriously, is that enough? Oh, did I mention that 60 minutes include setting up time for each set? Yeap, so within the 60 minutes, you can imagine how many things were going on! We were shouting, actors/actress were jumping up and down getting the numbers(I was laughing hysterically during this part), scrambling for props and getting into place! Now, you get what I mean when I say chaotic and random?

Next on, about the plays themselves, 30 of them, some poignant, some comedic, some physical, some literal, all truthful and enjoyable! Pepper in lots of stage play techniques and it got me thinking that if I was given the chance or opportunity to rename the whole thing, I would call them Rojak! (Ops, going off-tangent here) Back to the plays, there were also some bit of improvisation going on as there was this particular short play "The Show Changer (Everyone's going to hate you for picking this)" that 'kills' a cast member. And his body is laid there, while the shows go on! (Remember, we are on time constrains here) What happens if there is a solo performance by him which had not been played yet? Well, the ensemble basically resurrected him using whatever they can link from the previous one.

With all that being said, actually I think the best part was the last performance, and it happened by coincidence, true and pure coincidence! By some strange power, "The Importance of Family Albums" was the finale of the session and is one of the pieces that actually struck a chord in me(side track a bit, I am actually fairly camera-shy during my formative years, and still am, I suppose, hence I don't have much photos of me from younger days). Anyway, the best part was, after the whole monologue was performed, the whole house was called for a group photo session! It was a really random one! And we still had a little bit over a minute to spare! (I guess can consider as achievement unlocked? XD)

Omg! Why did I write so much??? Meh! Basically what I want to say is, if NETMBR ever gets performed again, which it definitely should, please go watch and support them! Oh yeah, credits roll (in order of the leaflet provided) :
1. Alexis Wong
2. Jeremy Ooi
3. Grace Ng
4. Dinesh Kumar
5. Jen Yee
6. Ui Hua
7. Ho Lee Ching
8. Freddy Tan
9. Amanda Ang

PS. Tickets price can be discounted up to a maximum of RM 6, depending on the mini-games you play beforehand :P

No comments:

Post a Comment