Friday, November 4, 2011

Breeze in the forest

So, on 2 November 2011, I went on a solo mission to Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre (KLPac) to watch and enjoy a flute recital by professional flautists. The name of the programmes is A Flutey Affair and while I unfortunately missed the flute consultation and discussion, I at least manage to enjoy the recital.
Please bear with my haphazard writing below as I wrote it while the flautists/accompaning pianist were playing. And before I forgot, the mentioned players are Sin Jin How and Tan Kian Joo. Though, there were a few others who was not mentioned but equally impressive.

So, let's begin:
1st piece(flute and piano) - it gave me a mixed feeling of peacefulness while being nice and sentimental. Yeah, it also felt really slow to me.
2nd piece(same as above) - from Princess Mononoke, this piece is slightly melancholic
3rd piece (same as above) - apparently  the main theme of princess mononoke, the sour sweet feeling of love was being potrayed, as well as the longing and yearning of a loved one.
4th piece(flute duet) - A French piece, loosely translated title is Autumn Leaves. Reminds me of childhood memories, that is happy nevertheless, peppered with a little regret.
5th piece(also duet) - Fly me to the moon song. Much like the original version but feels lighter and less depressing. It was rendered into a dance-like feel, so it became similar to waltz.
6th piece(still a duet) - From Kiki's delivery service and the part shows a black cat. Therefore, it is very cute sounding, as if without worries at all.
7th piece(now a trio) - An ultra light piece. The three flutes sounds as if they are playing with each other. A little element of tai chi, but just much much happier and faster!
8th piece (upgraded to a quartet) - piece started slow, like a scene at an old train station. There are people waiting for arrival and departure. It also feels a lot like Disney openings in a way. Slow but not draggy.
9th piece(a quintet if memory serves right) -it is a mixture of Ponyo(on a sea cliff), Spirited Away and My Neighbour Totoro. First one is really a bright piece that it can instantly lifts up a person's soul. The next one is Spirited Away ending. Need I say anymore? XD. The next one is just  full of hope that despair seems non-existence!!!!!

It was an eye-opening experience as the set-up made the whole recital feel very personal. It brings me back to a time where music can only be enjoyed by privileged few and  in chambers, salon and what not. Nevertheless, with the recital being free, I wonder why so many people did not jump at the chance of attending though. Puzzlement and recital aside, I even managed to know someone new there. :D

Now, quiz time, do you know where the title of my post derived from? Have fun guessing! XD

PS: Waiting for klpac to give me the titles of the pieces. Really curious and interested!!!! XD

No comments:

Post a Comment