Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dead Man's Cell Phone (Hand Phone in Malaysia)

XD, the title is actually pretty self-explanatory, but to spice things up a little, the entire play is actually not that simple. Yes, the cell phone may be the core of the entire performance but my personal opinion leads me to think that it is how the characters actually react to the whole situation which is interesting.

In short, Jean, saw a man(Gordon) dying in a cafe, and due to the incessant ringing of his phone, she picked up the phone and from then on, its like she started mending broken ties the dead man had when he was still alive. And also, she started picking up her life from then on. The catch is, she herself doesn't actually own a phone because she finds that there is actually a hypocritical/cynical view to having a phone.




I mean, in this day and age, who does not own a cell phone? I remember seeing a Standard 1 child having a more 'canggih' phone than me, a few years back. So, when a dead man's cell phone is in the hands of a supposedly stranger, what is she to do with the calls that came in with the caller expecting the dead man to be still... there?

Before I forget, this play is actualy a medium complex play, as in at moments it is just light hearted but at times, you are compelled to feel deeply for the characters, regardless of their role. Also, I missed the opening act, which shows how Jean(main character) came into possession of the cell phone, which I think, greatly affected my enjoyment of the show (second round very likely, anyone?).

I find that the utilisation of space this time was just great! This is because the performers really moved around the set, so its like there is no clear cut divider between audience and performers, furthermore, all the audiences get to have a clear view of the characters.

Another thing I greatly enjoyed was the music used, or line-up of backgroup music because each track was used so well that it greatly enhanced the watching experience. There was a mixture of modern soundtracks and classical music. The classical music was, honestly, better than clubbing music(not that I club or anything!) while the modern music on the other hand, can clearly convey what is going on without the characters speaking or anything else.

I think this time, I was only quite peeved about the exceesive use of a certain type of lighting. The lighting I meant was the misty effect which caused my vision to blur out quite a lot. Either it was intentional by the director or I couldn't adapt to it very well. Yeah, misty or smoky effect, basically its that.

So, a few words of wisdom? And please read it, its very enlightening:

 

 This is sort of like a treasure hunt mission for you guys who are going to watch XD :

  

 And a slightly delicious scene for you peeps!


Yup, it will be on at KLPAC until 18th March 2011, starts at 8.30pm except on Sunday(18th March), which is then 3pm. Tickets are priced at RM33 for.. basically everyone and RM 23, only if you are a TAS card holder, students, elderly and a disable person.
And if you are from Penang, it will run at PenangPAC from 22nd March to 25th March, 8.30pm on all days except Sunday. AND 3pm shows on both Saturday and Sunday!!!! Ticket rates are the same though.

Have fun at the play and KEEP YOUR CELL PHONES OFF!

No comments:

Post a Comment