Saturday, June 9, 2012

Antiques in the house!


The binoculars and the harmonica. Odd combination but these are a few of the antiques I recently discovered in my house! Believe it or not, these two items were passed down(ok, more like my parents claimed ownership) from my maternal great-grandfather, after he passed away in...1960-s.

Binoculars!!
The binoculars, have some serious discolouration going on and the lenses had gone dusty. All the same, it is still usable.  XD One story I really have to share though *cues horror music:
Once upon a time, many, many years ago, in the middle of the night, shrieks were heard in the neighbourhood. It subsequently became louder and more frantic, with more voices coming in. With vigour, families woke up and stood by their windows, watching an argument unfold. I was at a tender age of 8 and couldn't see well, but I am quick-witted. Thus, what I did was I grabbed the binoculars from the cupboard and started watching, zooming in and out at my fancy. Alas, in the midst of my intense observation, my elder brother snatched the binoculars from my kiddy hands and used it for himself. I then gave up watching and proceeded to bed.

Yup, that was the most vivid memory I had of the binoculars. I was quite sure that moment also sparked my interest in observing humans, although I might not have known it yet then.

The harmonica

And about the harmonica, I don't really recall much but it was such a gem! Even after so many years, there is still a gleam on the body. Besides that, it still has a perfect sound to it. But that's my opinion. Harmonica professionals might know better. Blew a little on it and immediately feel in love with the sound. Again. 

Now, I am actually looking for people who wouldn't mind restoring the binoculars(more like cleaning the lenses) and the harmonica(this needs a full-blown check-up). Still lurking at Lowyat forum to search for restorers. Do recommend if you know one!

Now, go dig out antiques in your house and share it to the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment